Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Stretch Run

I really thought the Red Sox would take over 1st place this week. I especially thought this after playing well on Monday. Last night they had their chance, but it just didn't happen. Papelbon is human and he will blow one from time to time. I would rather have him do it now than three weeks from now. If Beckett can get the win tonight the Sox are in good shape.

Obviously, both the Sox and Rays are a virtual lock for the playoffs, but both these teams play much better at home. I think it is paramount that the Sox will the division just so they know they will have atleast a divisional series at home in Fenway. Last year, I doubt the Sox come back against the Indians if they don't have Game 7 at home. The ironic thing is, if the Sox want home field in the playoffs then they have to win on the ROAD next week.

The Jays are as hot as any team and baseball and they have Halladay and A.J. Burnett. (He can smell his huge winter contract) The weekend will be tough. Then they go to the Trop and going to the Trop has been a disaster this year for Boston. Do you remember in April when the Sox got swept by the Rays in St. Pete? Everyone said, "You suck, you're terrible you got swept by the f-ing RAYS." Now, if the Sox get swept next week everyone will say, "man, you got swept by the rays..." and just shake their collective heads. I guess the Rays never faded, as I, and many others, thought they would.

One more note: Since football season started last week, I figured, starting this week I will give you my weekly picks and keep a running tally. I hope it will ease the blog's transition from baseball to football. Also, it will be good practice for my trip to Vegas in November.

No comments: