Thursday, June 12, 2008

What is wrong with Josh Beckett?

Has anyone but me noticed that Josh Beckett really hasn't been that great this season? I know it's tough to complain about a pitcher that shut everyone down in last season's playoffs. However, this year in almost every start he has that one bad inning when he gives up 3-5 runs. Granted, the Sox will win the majority of his starts. It's not like he's become Jared Wright. He's just lacking a certain something this year.

A lot of teams would kill for his relative consistency and quality innings, but I think a lot of us thought that he had turned some kind of corner last year, that he would become a dominant ace like a Clemens or Santana. Right now he's "just" a quality, workhorse, number one starter. I know it's lame to complain about this, but no one else seems to have noticed that Beckett has taken a small step back this season. I will reiterate that I have no problem if he ends up 18-10, 3.80 ERA, 180 strikeouts as I suspect he will.

No comments: