Thursday, April 10, 2008

At a French Bank the Yankees Still Suck

So this is the first year in the past three that I will be in the United States for the entire baseball season. I am excited I won't be subject to weekly updates on espn.com for my Red Sox fix. In Italy, I must have looked like a crack addict going through withdrawl. I would stumble into an internet cafe, dripping in sweat after a long day at work and jump on the closest computer. I would not talk to my family and friends but check how my Red Sox were doing.

However, the grass is not always greener on the other side of Central Park. My only hope to see a Red Sox game this year is a national broadcast on Fox or ESPN as NESN is unavailable in the city. So what do you think happened on the first Saturday of Fox's Saturday Baseball? I got a METS/BRAVES game. This is wrong for two reasons. One, the Mets are on everyday on SNY. Two, its a national league game, so honestly who cares? Is it too much to ask to see the defending World Series Champs besides at 6 a.m. on a Tuesday? (Don't get me started on that!)

Obviously, I am a bit down about this and today I got another kick in the balls. I started a new job at the French bank, Calyon, and my most immediate colleague is a huge Met fan. So I get to stare at his Met coffee cup for the next six months. And come August I get to hear "Wait for the playoffs, man. With Johan and Pedro coming back soon (no doubt from his 8th stint on the DL) and that line-up we'll be having a parade in November." As we continued to talk more baseball today, we both smiled and said "at least you aren't a Yankee fan." We were both thankful for that.

No comments: