Friday, April 25, 2008

No rest for the weary

Despite the fact that I am the one moving into a new house. I'm the only one who seems to want to post this week. Today I offer a few quick hits. Feel free to respond.

  • Apparently the flu doesn't just ravage poultry populations abroad but also the Red Sox. What a lame way to lose a couple of games. I think it's a legit problem, just a lame one.
  • I kind of feel bad for Francisco Liriano. Two years ago, he was a sensation. Now, he's 0-3 and an ERA over 13.00. He and Johan Santana could have been an unstoppable tandem in Minnesota if injuries and cheap ownership didn't get in the way.
  • I think John Smoltz should go into the Hall of Fame along with Maddox and Glavine from those Atlanta teams of the '90's. Does anyone else have an all-around resume like his: 210 wins, 154 saves, 3006 K's? Will being on the same team as Maddox and Glavine hurt his chances for the hall?
  • Isn't baseball a lot more fun without Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens? I don't care that much about their possible steroid use. I just don't think either one of them is that much fun.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I think Smoltz is probably a Hall of Famer in his own right, and if he retires at the same time as Maddux and Glavine it will actually help his chances, because I think people would like to see the three of them go in together.

Given what has happened over the last twenty years, I think the numbers thresholds have been raised for position players (500 home runs no longer guarantees election) and lowered for pitchers.

I don't think Mussina (252 wins) will get in, but he will get a lot more votes than he deserves. A few other guys will get in, such as Schilling (216 wins) and Pedro (209), because their other accomplishments are so notable.