Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Smack Down at the Stadium

Never in recent history have the Red Sox had more of an chance to ruin things for the Yankees and their fans. If Boston can take 2-of-3, they can put even more distance between the Yankees and a playoff berth and further sully the final season at the Stadium by embarassing them in the last Yanks vs. Sawks series there.

Of course I am a Red Sox fan. Overconfidence will always get you in trouble. It's not as if the Red Sox have given me many reasons to believe they can win 2-of-3 in enemy territory. The Yankees may ultimately miss the playoffs, but they would love to spoil the Red Sox hopes along the way. Here's an example of how the baseball gods reward overconfidence:

I remember watching Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS when the Sox had their lead and were six outs or so from going to the World Series. On my way to the men's room, a fellow Sox backer looked at me and said, "It's ovah!" "Don't say stuff like that," I replied. We know how it all ended that evening. All I can say is that Boston has a good opportunity over the next three games to show some guts and make a statement. We'll see if they do.

No comments: