Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic Digression

Having been in Key West for the past week, I haven't been able to watch my beloved Sox. I instead have sated my sports appetite on the Olympic games. I don't care what anyone says. I love the Olympics, especially the summer games. It gives me an opportunity to watch sports that I seldom get a chance to watch such as swimming, diving, gymnastics, and track& field. I enjoy these sports very much, and although I probably would not make the time to follow them year in and year out, I find them exceedingly entertaining when I have the chance to watch them at the highest level.

Some like to criticize the Olympics saying that they do not carry the same prestige as they once did, that no one cares about these sports, or that corporate sponsorship has ruined the games. Somehow I am able to see past all of that. I still see a purity of competition and camaraderie. For two weeks, countries are able to put aside political differences become a community. Does this happen across the board? No. All you had to do was watch the Croatia/Serbia water polo match to see years of bloody conflict and resentment boiling just below the players' skins. But I still feel that every few years, we get to see sports in its purest form, athletes who are there for the love of their respective games, and sportsmanship that transcends arbitrary lines in the sand.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great writeup on the Olympics. Personally, I don't can't get into most of the events, but I think it's a great opportunity to celebrate athletes that don't normally get the spotlight.

As for the post about the Twins and Yankees...Well, yes, the Yankees have killed the Twins over the past 5 years or so, but I don't agree that they have more talent right now. Bigger names.....yes. Bigger payroll....yes (200 mill to 57 mill). However, our starting rotation is better. The Twins rotation is actually the rotation that Yankee fans dreamed about before the year started. We have 5 big prospects that are all pitching well. The bullpens are about the same, but Pat Neshek is injured. Offensively, it's also a wash. Mauer > Pudge or Posada, Morneau > Whoever, Casilla = Cano, A-Rod > > Buscher, Jeter > > Punto, Young = Nady, Gomez > Cabrera, Span = Abreu.

I realize many of the Yankee players have had great careers, but it's important to see them for what they are now.

Peter said...

Those are good points about how each lineup is matched up. Sometimes I forget to subtract the talent that they Yankees have but is injured, like Joba or Wang and Matsui as well.

Two things though, I know Mauer has a lot of good years ahead of him, but Posada did out play him last year and this year he has been hurt most of the time so there is no telling if he would have kept hitting or not. Also I disagree with Span being equal to Abreu. I'll give you Span's defense over Bobby, but Abreu is a better hitter simply they match each other in every department but Abreu has more power. Span might be better then Abreu soon, but not yet.