Monday, July 7, 2008

Gardner salvages the series

I guess I'm just not allowed to watch the Yankees play the Sox. I watched the first two games and the Yanks were embarrassing. I barely catch a glimpse of the last two and they play with heart and guile to salvage the split.

This start has to be another successful one for Joba. Yea he is still a little wild with four walks in six innings but they weren't bad walks. He had his control he was just trying to make his pitches a little to fine from what I could see in the first few innings.

Brett Gardner is a fun player to watch. His speed is exciting and he runs counts deep in his at bats. Not to mention he can track balls down pretty well in the outfield. Gardner has started out well in his first 21 at bats but they haven't been weak at bats.

That's what gets me about Melky Cabrera. When he is in a slump his at bats seem quick with him making easy outs. Gardner grinds out each plate appearance and I think we will definitely see his value as he gets a good amount of playing time now that Damon is on the DL.

Now after Monday's off day the Yanks will have chance to make this a winning home stand when they take on the Rays in a two game set. This will obviously be a difficult task given the way the Rays have been playing and the fact that the Yanks will have to play one game against Kazmir.

I'm also sure that on Monday you will hear a lot about C.C. Sabathia going to the Brewers. There were some people who I'm sure thought the Yankees would get desperate and sell part of the farm system off to get Sabathia. I'm glad the Brewers beat them and the Rays to the punch.

I know most fans wouldn't bat an eye if Cashman parted ways with Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy with they way they started this year, but it would be a mistake. Not only would they be sacrificing young cheap talent but I doubt the Brewers are going to spend over $150 million on keeping C.C. in town. That means he will only cost a couple of draft picks in the off-season.

The Brewers gave up a lot when they gave up Laporta but I guess they figured that they figured he was blocked at first and it would be difficult to get him time in the outfield. They'll have a ton of draft picks to replace him if both Ben Sheets and Sabathia walk away after the season anyway. They are now a serious player with a top end of the rotation that can match up with any team so long as Sheets stays on the mound and off the DL.

It's a shame the Yankees already played all their games against the Indians now that they have already thrown in the towel.

No comments: