Friday, October 17, 2008

Sox Vs. Rays Game 5: WTF


I have to admit to you all, even though it was potentially the last time I would see my beloved Sox this season, I couldn't bear to watch with Boston down 5-0 to Tampa. I turned off the game and watched a movie with my wife (George Lopez: Why You Crying, very funny). I woke up this morning and was flabbergasted by the results.

J.D. Drew amazes me. He always seems to have a solid regular season, plays good defense, but misses 20-30 games due to injury. In the playoffs, he has been invaluable for the Sox, Mr. Clutch in fact. Remeber his grand slam in the ALCS last season? It's almost inexplicable to me.

By the way, both Boston and Tampa have outfielders who go by initials that don't correspond to their given names. J.D. Drew was born David Jonathan. Shouldn't he be D.J.? B.J. Upton was born Melvin Emanuel. B.J. stands for Bossman Junior, a tribute to his dad.

It was curious that Tampa started Scott Kazmir instead of James Shields, although that was not the problem last night. It was their heretofore unhittable bullpen that finally had a bad outing. Tampa must have a little fear creeping into their minds that they woke up a sleeping giant. All history aside, we know that Boston has a dangerous lineup and the confidence of being world champs. Who knows? After all is said and done Tampa will probably win a very pedestrian 5-3 game on Saturday. My advice if the Sox want to win; stop pitching to B.J. Upton. I'm still waiting for someone to throw a brush back pitch or something. He is practically standing on home plate and just turning on everything.

I just keep thinking of all of those Sox fans who left early, in their cars, stuck in traffic, with the radio on. What will they say to their grand kids about this game? I turned the TV off, sure. But I never would've left the game early after paying several hundred bucks to be there.

Historical Note: Much has been made of the Red Sox 0-3 and 1-3 comebacks in 2004 and 2007 respectively. But people fail to mention that the Red Sox also came back from 1-3 vs. the Angels in the 1986 ALCS as well.

No comments: