Monday, October 6, 2008

Angel Comback Sets Up Lester-Lackey Rematch

I did not expect the Red Sox to sweep this series, but last night's game was very disappointing, especially the way that Beckett pitched and allowed the Angels to come back. I was watching in the 10th and was so hoping that the Sox would beat K-Rod again. They loaded the bases to no avail. I feel good about Lester going tonight. It will probably be another low scoring duel with Lackey matching up again on the other side.

Beckett pitched ok, I guess. I just think he is too banged up to be the dominant ace he has been in playoffs past. I hope he can dig deep and keep the Sox in games when he's out there. My expectations have been lowered. On the bright side, the bull pen, which has been another season long problem, held the Angels scoreless until Javier Lopez got in the game. Papelbon looks like he's out of whatever funk he's been in. He looks ready to pitch two more innings tonight if necessary, but I'm sure Francona will avoid that if he can.

I just don't want the Sox to squander this opportunity after winning the first two games in Anaheim. The road has been Boston's Achilles heel all season. Taking those first two games was a big deal for them. It's time for the Sox to do what they have done all year and take care of business at Fenway.

No comments: