Friday, November 20, 2009

Court Rules 'Skins Can Keep Moniker

As It was reported earlier this week, the Supreme Court ruled that the Washington Redskins can keep their nickname after a 20 year long battle with a Native American group who deemed the nickname offensive. More precisely, the Justices won't review a lower court ruling allowing the same.

When I decided that Washington was my favorite team, I was probably 9 or 10. These issues never entered my thinking. As an adult, I can understand why some Native Americans are offended by the name. My attitude about these types of things is; if a person is offended then it's offensive. The intent is important, but not as important as how it makes the offended party feel. The Redskins' assertion that the name is honorific and pays tribute to their coach in 1933 William "Loan Star" Dietz, a Native American, doesn't seem to hold water to me. They were already called the Braves at the time.

If there's a right way to do it, the Florida State Seminoles are the example to follow. The university has a close relationship with the Seminole people. It also requires students to take coursework educating them on the tribe. That is paying tribute and being respectful.

Quite frankly, the nickname has given me pause to even wearing my Redskins garb in public. As an adult, I find it a little embarrassing. (To be honest, I'm not a big sports paraphernalia guy anyway.) I've even been considering changing team loyalty. I know that's a mortal sin among sports fans, especially at 31 years old, but am giving it serious thought. The main reason they won't change the name is pure and simple, money. It would cost too much to change everything now. But we live in a new age. Just because something has been one way for a long time doesn't make it right.

No comments: