Saturday, June 27, 2009

Burnett One-Ups Sabathia

After watching Tim Wakefield and the Red Sox shut out the Braves, the Yankees and A.J. Burnett decided to show off their pitching prowess and one-hit the Mets in a 5-0 victory. Burnett has utterly dominated the Mets in his two starts, throwing 14 shut out innings while striking out 18 and only allowing five hits.

When A.J. Burnett got bounced by the Red Sox in the third inning of his June 9 start he spoke candidly about his performance and promised better days saying, according to Pete Abraham, “Glimpses of greatness but I’m not very consistent right now. I’m not a negative guy, so I’m not going to beat myself up over it. But when I do get on that run, it’s going to be impressive. I promise you that.”

Well I suppose this is the type of run Burnett was speaking of. Over his past three starts since his disastrous outing in Burnett is 2-1 with a 0.44 ERA and 26 strike outs. His one loss was to Josh Johnson in a pitchers duel in Florida when a Johnny Damon dropped fly ball cost him the deciding run. Now granted the two victories have come against a very depleted Mets team, but the fact of the matter is Burnett is dominating who he should dominate.

There will be other valleys for him during the season I'm sure, but this is what the Yankees sort of expected when they brought in the flame-thrower and now he is showing us the good side of A.J.

No comments: