Tuesday, December 23, 2008

NFL Top 10: Week 17

This will be the final installment of the power rankings for this season. Come next week, I will predict the playoffs, NCAA Tournament style. It figures, anytime I jump on or off any band wagon, I get proven wrong. The top four are back to where they were back in Week 15. I'm glad I spent all this free time on the rankings every week. Sheesh.

1. Giants (12-3): Last week #3. Just as I thought, with Jacobs back and the offensive coaches recommitted to the running game, the Giants are back on track. I like the way they stayed the course with the ground game though they were down early to the Panthers. The D is looking a little depleted however. Perhaps there is cause for concern.

2. Titans (13-2): Last week #4. I thought their D would struggle without Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch, but wrong again! The defense may be just nasty enough to get them through the playoffs, but I still just can't get excited about them.

3. Pittsburgh (11-4): Last week #1. When Big Ben becomes Bad Ben, this team doesn't have a chance. The one constant during their win streak had been Roethlisberger's ability to take care of the football. That's the only way they could win a rematch with Tennessee.

4. Panthers (11-4): Last week #2. 301 yards rushing? Ouch. A week after running for 299 themselves, they allow a monster day to Jacobs and Co. I'm banking on that performance being an aberration.

5. Colts (11-4): Last week #5. It hasn't been Peyton's best year statistically, but if ever he deserved MVP consideration, it is now. The Colts have won eight in a row and shown that they have brass ones in the process, pulling out a number of close games including their last win vs. the Jags. This sets up an anticlimactic season finale with the Titans, where nothing is on the line and no one will play. It will probably be a boring game on top of it, with neither coach wanting to tip his hand in case these teams meet in the playoffs.

6. Dolphins (10-5): Last week #6. Time for Chad P. to get the last laugh on the Jets. No one is talking about a weak arm anymore.

7. Ravens (10-5): Last week #7. If nothing else the Ravens know how to play to their strengths. They have a rookie QB and a great defense, therefore they have more rushing attempts than any team in the league.

8. Falcons (10-5): Last week unranked. I should have gone with my gut instead of my head last week. The Bucs were ranked instead. I said I was skeptical all year, yet I kept the Bucs in the rankings. Now they're sucking wind and the Falcons have clinched.

9. Patriots (10-5): Last week unranked. It's scary to see them scoring 40+ with regularity again. The AFC better hope New England doesn't get in.

10. Cowboys (10-5): Last week #8. God, I hate you guys. Do they beat up on the weak or what? Then they cower like dogs when they play a big boy defense like Baltimore. Even still, win and they're in. I hope they don't.

What the hell is up with...? The Broncos. You let the once 4-8 Chargers back in the mix. If you had any cajones you would have wrapped up this putrid division weeks ago. All you had to do was win one stupid game. It sickens me to think that either you or the Chargers are going to show up for one game only in the playoffs and the Patriots could be 11-5 and watching from home.

No comments: