Friday, April 8, 2011

Yanks and Sox Game 1

So it begins...

This will just be my quick thoughts on the first rivalry game of the year and if you watched the game you will now why I want to keep them brief. The Red Sox took the first of the season series and I'm not that surprised. Phil Hughes looked bad in his first start of the season and downright atrocious today. I wasn't expecting the implosion John Lackey was lucky enough in that regard to pick up the win.

I think that both teams have somewhat identified who they will be this season. Both will hit a ton, but they each lack rotation depth. This is likely to be one ugly summer of baseball if neither team makes moves for stronger starters.

In other news it seems Manny Ramirez is throwing in the towel. I can only go by what I've heard on the radio waves, but it seems he tested positive for performance enhancing drugs for the second time and rather than face a 100 game suspension he said screw you and walked away. He probably did the Rays a favor anyway since he was hitting a minuscule .056 in a super small sample size of just 17 plate appearances and he hasn't looked good since his first half year with the Dodgers.

It's an inauspicious end to a brilliant career. Manny will go down as one of the greatest righ-handed hitters of all time, but I doubt he hoped to go out like this. Though, part of me thinks Manny being Manny doesn't give a crap.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come for the Sox; a potent, intimidating line up at home and completely inept on the road. It's the same year after year. As far as Manny goes, regardless if this is the end or not, could you envision a traditional retirement? An announcement that it's his last year? A farewell tour? A teary-eyed press conference? Yeah, me neither.

Dennis said...

Think about this, over the past fifteen years or so, we have been able to watch at least three, arguably four of the ten greatest hitters of all time in Manny, Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, and Barry Bonds.

And chances are three of them will never get into the Hall of Fame.