Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bring on the Halos

As I sit watching the Yankees and Twins knotted at 2 in the bottom of the first, I am contemplating the Red Sox first post season game against the Angels tomorrow night. (Though I am off work on Friday I will likely miss the majority of the game since it starts at 9:30, I am fighting a cold and will likely be zonked on Nyquil.) The Sox past post season dominance of the Angels has been well documented. This year could be different though as the Angels love to run and the Sox are downright inept at stopping it.

The key is keeping folks like Chone (god I wish maternity wards could spell check names) Figgins off the base paths to begin with. Of course he will probably get on at some point. But when he does, the pitcher needs to focus on next batter. Don't ignore the runner, but don't become pre-occupied either. You need to just concentrate on getting the next guy out. Figgins isn't going to steal second and third and home. Bottom line, if the Sox pitchers can just focus on getting hitters out, all of the Angels running will be for naught.

Both teams have all-star arms going in game one; Jon Lester for Boston, John Lackey for Anaheim. Lester has no starts against the Angels this year. Lackey had one start against Boston, and although he lost, it was a good outing: 7 2/3 IP, 2 ER, 6 K. I can't envision anything but a tightly contested series. My prediction Sox in 5... why not?

No comments: