Friday, February 25, 2011

2 players I am excited to see in red socks (I don’t mean Adrian Gonzalez or Carl Crawford)

The Red Sox made a lot of big moves this off-season as to be expected from a large market team that missed the playoffs last year. As a fan, I am happy to see Theo Epstein spend the money on quality players who can be expected to make significant contributions for the next 7-10 years. I really like Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, but the two Red Sox I am most excited about are two players who were with the Red Sox in 2010, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jose Iglesias.

Salty (I can’t be bothered to type out his whole name) is huge. Physically, he has all the tools to be successful. Injuries have been an issue, but because Varitek is the back-up Salty will get at least one day off a week, if not two. I think he could thrive in Boston as a manager of the pitching staff and a complimentary offensive player. (Most of the time he will be batting 8th). Varitek has already started to mentor Salty, encouraging him to grab a locker on the pitcher’s side of the locker room. Varitek is the only other position player on that side. Salty is still young and Francona won’t expect an MVP year from him, I think Tito would be happy if he was a solid contributor on a daily basis that grew into a more substantial role with the Sox.

I may be getting ahead of myself, as projections don’t expect Iglesias in Boston until 2012, but all reports are the kid has the potential to be a legitimate super-star. I have heard him described a cross between Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez. I always thought that giving up Ramirez for Beckett was a necessary and fair move, but it would have been nice to have Ramirez. Scutaro looks healthy and should be solid at shortstop, but if he struggles or gets hurt look for Igelsias to get the call up.

No comments: